• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state real estate and intestate succession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wgibbons@cavtel

State: VIRGINIA

My 40 year old brother died intestate a few monts ago and I am the administrator of his estate. He was domiciled in Virginia, but had real estate in Brunswick County, North Carolina. He was single and had no offspring, but our parents are still alive. My understanding is that the laws regarding intestate succession for the state of NC apply in determining who owns the assets. Under the VA code, the ownership of the real estate passes 100% to our parents, outside of probate. Do I just need to take my parents, a death certificate and my letter of administration to Brunswick courthouse to get ownership transferred to my parents? What is the correct procedure?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">