• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Divorces - ~PUBLIC RECORD~ or ~not~?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

occharge

What is the name of your state? California

Are California divorces "Public Record"? And aside from the obvious "ask the person", can I do a search to find out someone's "legal marital status" or no?

I do know that with a "case number" and assuming I know which court the divorce was filed in, I can look up the answer online... But what about when one does not have the case # or even know if one "exists"???

Thanks in advance!

CourtClerk

CA divorce cases are public record, paternity cases are not (that where the 2 parents were never married).

If you know what county the case was handled out of, you can go pull the file and read through it like a novel. If you don't, you may have a problem and may need to seek the services of one of those public record search companies.

Most (if not all) of the counties are now online with their public records, you don't need a case number, just the name of one of the parties involved and it will spit out a list of all of the cases tied to that name. In fact, in my county (LA), you don't even need to know the courthouse, the indexing system will tell you what courthouse the case is out of.

occharge

Thank you

CA divorce cases are public record, ....

.... In fact, in my county (LA),.....
Thank you very much for your reply! (All of which was pertinent but I'll quote you where I need to ask a follow up question).

I too am in L A County!

If you know what county the case was handled out of, you can go pull the file and read through it like a novel
"Go" to any LA county courthouse or can this be done online at: www.lasuperiorcourt.org ?

Also, if it can only be done at the Court, what department/office would I look/ask for?

And lastly, (wrong forum but I'll still ask): does this also apply to civil litigation cases?

Once again, thank you for your reply. Timely, pertinent & most of all greatly appreciated!

CourtClerk

"Go" to any LA county courthouse or can this be done online at: www.lasuperiorcourt.org ?
What you'll find in the court's indexing system online is a summary of the case. May or may not have what you are looking for on it, but generally a summary of what has been filed on the case, pending hearings and dispositions of prior hearings. If you want to read specifically what is in the file, you'll need to go to the courthouse where the paper file is held.
Also, if it can only be done at the Court, what department/office would I look/ask for?
The Civil Department. Most of them keep civil and family law together.
And lastly, (wrong forum but I'll still ask): does this also apply to civil litigation cases?
Yes, everything but paternity cases (which remain confidential) and unlawful detainers (which are confidential for the first 60 days - unless the defendant ultimately prevails then it is forever confidential) is public record.
Once again, thank you for your reply. Timely, pertinent & most of all greatly appreciated!
You're quite welcome :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">