• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue limitations NJ verbal contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kellyopie

I had a verbal contract to pay 1/2 the cost of a service with someone who signed the written contract for that service.The person was told to tell me how much it would be 2.3 years ago and I never heard from them,nor could I contact them.They owed me twice as much on a signed IOU and I assumed they paid it because of their debt to me.Now he wants to sue me because he's being sued-I never saw a bill. Am I liable
Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kellyopie said:
I had a verbal contract to pay 1/2 the cost of a service with someone who signed the written contract for that service.The person was told to tell me how much it would be 2.3 years ago and I never heard from them,nor could I contact them.They owed me twice as much on a signed IOU and I assumed they paid it because of their debt to me.Now he wants to sue me because he's being sued-I never saw a bill. Am I liable
Thanks
My response:

Incredibly, an oral contract in New Jersey has a 4 year Statute of Limitations. So, you tell this guy, "What contract . . . I have no idea what you're talking about . . . do you have something in writing from me about this so-called debt ?"

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">