• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing the other woman

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gottamoveon

What is the name of your state? VA
I know VA does not allow have the Alienation of Affection law but what about suing the other woman for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress? My husband cheated for months and this woman knew of me, spoke to me numerous time but still didnt care. Yes, my husband is to blame as well and I'm dealing with him. But what about her? Women like this need to be taught a lesson. Oh, by the way, she is pregnant now. Can I do anything?

CourtClerk

IMO, your husband is the only one to blame as he is the only one between the two of them that made vows, covenants and promises. She doesn't owe you anything. Maybe the decent thing to do would be to leave a married man alone, but the married man knew about you, spoke to you everyday knew he was supposed to be committed to you and his family and he tossed that all out the window and still didn't care. You want to be mad and sue someone? Sue your husband, because without him doing what he did, there would be no her - and if it wasn't her it would be someone else because he's the one fooling around.

las365

She's pregnant with your husband's baby? If that is the case, and you plan to stay with your husband, then the best thing you can do is figure out how to get past your anger at her and get ready for a lifelong connection. You'll be the baby's stepmother, I guess, and if you have kids with your husband, they will be this child's siblings.

Trying to sue her would achieve... what? You could spend a bunch of money on a lawyer, if you can find one who will take your case. I don't know whether your legal theory would hold water. Let's say it did, and you won. What would you win? Is she wealthy? How much money would make things better? You can't win satisfaction or an extinguishment of your hurt.

BoredAtty

What is the name of your state? VA
I know VA does not allow have the Alienation of Affection law but what about suing the other woman for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress?
Nope. Read McDermott v. Reynolds, 260 Va. 98, 530 S.E.2d 902 (Va., 2000). The Supreme Court of Virginia specifically excluded that claim in cases of adultery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">