• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wanting to adopt my Niece

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slpls

What is the name of your state? Ohio
But she resides in Florida. Due to circumstances I cant control my brother and her mother signed their rights to her away as of March 17,2008. She is now in States custody and has been placed in a foster home. I have contacted the Children Services Dept in Fort Myers and actually spoke to the case manager. She took vital information and as I understood it, since I am her aunt, I would have some sort of priority in the adoption process. I already have children and they would like to have her here as well. I am not rich by any means but do know I can provide for her. The case manager did say she would get right back with me. I have heard nothing and it has been a week. I have left several messages and still nothing even to say we are pending research on the matter. So my question. When it comes to adopting within the family tree, Is there priority? Is there a reason they would not want to put the child with me? I am married and have been for 16 years. I am the oldest of my siblings and I live in a total diffrent state then my siblings. Is there anything I can do to atleast get an answer from The Case Manager? She resides in Fort Myers Florida . I reside in Chillicothe Ohio. If anyone can help I would be sooo insanlely happy. Hugs
What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Ohio
But she resides in Florida. Due to circumstances I cant control my brother and her mother signed their rights to her away as of March 17,2008. She is now in States custody and has been placed in a foster home. I have contacted the Children Services Dept in Fort Myers and actually spoke to the case manager. She took vital information and as I understood it, since I am her aunt, I would have some sort of priority in the adoption process. I already have children and they would like to have her here as well. I am not rich by any means but do know I can provide for her. The case manager did say she would get right back with me. I have heard nothing and it has been a week. I have left several messages and still nothing even to say we are pending research on the matter. So my question. When it comes to adopting within the family tree, Is there priority? Is there a reason they would not want to put the child with me? I am married and have been for 16 years. I am the oldest of my siblings and I live in a total diffrent state then my siblings. Is there anything I can do to atleast get an answer from The Case Manager? She resides in Fort Myers Florida . I reside in Chillicothe Ohio. If anyone can help I would be sooo insanlely happy. Hugs
What is the name of your state?
I can't speak to most of your questions, but I would like to suggest patience. "Right Away" in government-speak is much more than a week...

slpls

I am not sure I just know that the mother was found unfit some time ago. Then she told my brother he was the father. He took 3 of her children on only being the father for 2 of them. They went and spent a weekend at their maternal grandmothers and next thing we know they were removed from custody. I do know that whatever they were going to charge my brother with has been dropped and he has been cleared,. I am not close with him and I found out he signed the rights away through my sister. I have only been gone from Fl for 2 years and I would have her every weekend. She has even stated she misses me. So that is what I know. They would give me no details on the case. Just took my info and said she would contact me.

slpls

Just an update. I called yet again and no answer. I blocked my number and called right back and wouldnt you know she picked up the phone. I asked her and she told me I was not elegible to adopt them. I aske why and she told me that is what her boss said. So I asked to be transferred to her and she kindly did so. I spoke to "The Boss" and she stated that the courts have not made it concrete yet. Another words their rights have not been completely terminated and that if the mother wanted to change her mind she could do so. So until the courts have made it final they are not up for adoption as of yet. Then she told me I had no idea as to what this childs "problems" where. I began to then tell her I knew more than she thought I did. I know that she has had no stable home and that sexual abuse may have occured. I told her that I was told that family would have priority over a stranger. She agreed. She then told me that she had a meeting and would call me back. But wanted to make sure that if the courts stated my brother was to have no contact I would be able to uphold that. I told her I would as I am not close to him . I dont believe he was a great parent. I believe he may have been overwhelmed . In any case I live in a total diffrent state and we dont see each other nor have we in 2 years. I just get frustrated when they want you to think you have no idea. I do know personally what she is going through if she has infact been sexually abused. I am awaiting a call from My Brothers Lawyer. As I just found out all charges where dropped and he is free and clear. But if he wanted his children back they would reinstate the charges and he could possibly do life. Not sure how that works. You have been cleared but they can bring charges again. ?? Sounds fishy to me. And he still has 3 other children in his care. Would they not have removed them all if they thought he was guilty?? So confused. Thanks for any input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">