• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invoices from my Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

camster39

What is the name of your state? NJ

My divorce was completed mid 2007. I had many issues with my attorney during my divorce procedings - in retrospect, I wish I changed attorneys but nevertheless I stayed with the same attorney throught the proceedings. I still have a substantial balance owed to my attorney yet I have what I consider to be, very legitimate reasons to withhold payment.

During the divorce process (which lasted about 18 months), I was invoiced 3-4 months late. In other words, I would receive an invoice for January and then not another invoice until April/May. Then I may get one in June & July but then nothing until November. This was problematic throught the divorce and the answer that I always got was that they where backed up in billing and I will get the invoice shortly.

Here is the part that I think is inexcusable. At the time of my property settlement agreement I had absolutely no idea what my outstanding balance was for my attorney. During arbitration when I was negotiating details of our 2 properties, 401k's, credit cards etc... - I could not take my legal fees into account as I had no idea what they were. When I asked my attorney the response was something like "about 10k or so". This was actually a low number as the balance was over 20k. I was trying to budget for my future based on outstanding credit cards of $xxxs, child support of $xxx, home equity of $xxx and so on but once again, I could not budget for my legal fees. I think that I would have fought harder for some items if I knew my legal fees were this high rather than compromising as much as I did.

In addition to this entire mess, there were 4-5 different items that I feel where missed due to laziness & carelessness. Again, I did not realize this until months after the divoirce when I spoke with a friend of the family who practices law in NY. He couldn't believe that certain things weren't addressed and not included in the property settlement agreement.

In summary, I am furious not only were obvious things missed that cost me tens of thousands of dollars but now I have an invoice for a ridiculous amount of money. It's also interesting that I am now getting invoices on a timely monthly basis!!

I intend to dispute this as much as possible. I would like to handle this pro se (if that's the right term)....as I can't afford any more legal fees. What are my legal rights in this scenario, do I need legal representation if this goes to arbitration or even further. I initially tried to negotiate an acceptable payment plan for a lesser amount but it really didn't go anywhere -- neither of us are willing to budge that much.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? NJ

My divorce was completed mid 2007. I had many issues with my attorney during my divorce procedings - in retrospect, I wish I changed attorneys but nevertheless I stayed with the same attorney throught the proceedings. I still have a substantial balance owed to my attorney yet I have what I consider to be, very legitimate reasons to withhold payment.

During the divorce process (which lasted about 18 months), I was invoiced 3-4 months late. In other words, I would receive an invoice for January and then not another invoice until April/May. Then I may get one in June & July but then nothing until November. This was problematic throught the divorce and the answer that I always got was that they where backed up in billing and I will get the invoice shortly.

Here is the part that I think is inexcusable. At the time of my property settlement agreement I had absolutely no idea what my outstanding balance was for my attorney. During arbitration when I was negotiating details of our 2 properties, 401k's, credit cards etc... - I could not take my legal fees into account as I had no idea what they were. When I asked my attorney the response was something like "about 10k or so". This was actually a low number as the balance was over 20k. I was trying to budget for my future based on outstanding credit cards of $xxxs, child support of $xxx, home equity of $xxx and so on but once again, I could not budget for my legal fees. I think that I would have fought harder for some items if I knew my legal fees were this high rather than compromising as much as I did.

In addition to this entire mess, there were 4-5 different items that I feel where missed due to laziness & carelessness. Again, I did not realize this until months after the divoirce when I spoke with a friend of the family who practices law in NY. He couldn't believe that certain things weren't addressed and not included in the property settlement agreement.

In summary, I am furious not only were obvious things missed that cost me tens of thousands of dollars but now I have an invoice for a ridiculous amount of money. It's also interesting that I am now getting invoices on a timely monthly basis!!

I intend to dispute this as much as possible. I would like to handle this pro se (if that's the right term)....as I can't afford any more legal fees. What are my legal rights in this scenario, do I need legal representation if this goes to arbitration or even further. I initially tried to negotiate an acceptable payment plan for a lesser amount but it really didn't go anywhere -- neither of us are willing to budge that much.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?
I suspect you are the ex-husband, correct??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And the attorney does not need paid for the work he/she did because you lost? Nice. You signed a contract with the attorney, correct? Prepare to pay according to said contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">