• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was any of this handled properly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lfaith_l

was any of this handled properly?

I was arested for domestic violence charge, but befor I was arrested the cops told me they were going to searsh my car and my briefcase that was in the car beceause my boyfriend told them that I had a "kitchen knife" in my hand when I went to the car to leave the house and that I had made slashing motions at him with the knife. Let me back up a little. We argued I wanted to leave took the car keys got in the car he ran right behind me lunged at me grabbing me around the neck w/ both hands chocking me ,at this point I was flat on my back across the front seat w/the center concul in my back.He then used his forarm to hold me down,still across my throut and his other hand trying to get the keys from me.long story short I got of the car went back to the house like I wasn't going to leave when he went to the next room I ran got in the car started to back up he ran out dialing the phone and ran right behind the car.I slamed on the brakes so I wouldn't hit him but ended up hitting him enough to make him loose his balance. He jumped up still on the phone got on the sidewalk and I drove away.
I want around the corner and called 911,this wasn't the first time he had choked me,hit me etc. The cops came to the gas station looked at the marks on my neck and hands and said that they were going to go to the house to speak to him. They told me to drive myself to the police station so that they could take a report and that they would be there when they were through talking to him. I stoped at a drive-thru market on my way to buy some ciggeretts then went to the P.D. sat in the car for about 5 min to finish my ciggerette then went inside .The officers wern't there yet but another officer took my to a room where I could wait.After they got there the female officer came in and told me to tell her what had happend,she asked questions made notes then told me that he said that I had a kitchen knife and could she look in my purse that I had with me.I said sure. I had nothing to hide I never had a knife.She then wanted to know why it took me more than 5 min. to drive to the police dept. I told her beceause I went through the drive thru for cigg's & sat in the car till I finished smoking. I had told the other officer at the gas station that I was going to stop to buy cigg's on my way to the P.D. & he said ok.This is where she tells me they have to search the car beceause the knife could be in it but that I could have "done something " with it on my way to the station.After about 30 min the officer came back and told me that I was under arrest for domestic violence beceause he had a scrape on his knee and a small blood blister on his hand from when he fell.I told them I didn't quiet understand I told them I wasn't able to stop completly and that I had hit him with the car & that he had fallen so sure he would have a scratch on his kneeand the blood blister wasn't suprising eathier.Ihad marks on my neck two of my fingers were swollen and my back hurt so bad I couldn't sit unless I put my leg up on another chair, so why was I being arrested?They said "we feel things didn't happen the way you said and in these cases we have to arrest one of you & it's going to be you.They cuffed me took me to another room where they informed me we would be video taped & recorded. They then brought in my briefcase & proceeded to lay papers,keys,and other items from it on the table.Well I did have a $20.00 bag of Crystal Meth in my retainer case & a cut up straw in a small 3"x3" metal tin.They asked about the drugs where I got them, How often did I use would I wear a wire & buy for them etc.Nothing further mentioned about the domestic violence BUT never did they tell me I was being charged with possion.When they got me to county & I had to strip the officer there went out & got the arresting officer to have her look at the bruises forming on the back of my legs andback & to see how swollen the whole width of my middle & lower back were.But no further pictures were taken.The arresting officer told me that when I got bail or OR'd to go to the P.D. & they would get pictures then & turn them over to the D.A. to see if he wanted to charge my boyfriend w/D.V. charges.I was booked given some advill for my back given some papers & still nothing stated any thing about drug charges.I wasn't arraigned the folling day so they moved me to the womens jail.They told me there my bail was 25,000 dollers beceause I was being charged with D.V. still no mention of a possession charge.When it was time for court they told me to read & sign a paper. I started to read the paper and at the top it said "Charges-- Misdomeaner possion of a controlled sbustance" This was the first mention of a different charge,I didn't know what to do I have never had a traffic ticket in my life.So I signed the paper went in front of the Judge. The judge asked the lawyer if he was requesting that I be OR'd he said yes,the judge agreed but to supervised OR. I was told when I had to appear in court given a paper that explained how to find out who my attorney was through the Private Defender Program,and handed a buisness card of the person with whom I needed to check-in with every Tues. & Fri. at the OR office.Now searching for a knife why look in my retainer case when the knife is supposedly a "kitchen knife" . And why was the decision to arrest me for domestic violence made only after they found the meth and how come it took so long to charge me w/possision and why was I never told untill 10 min befor I saw the Judge?Also why didn't they take photos of my bruises on the back of my legs & back & the swelling in my back? Why suould it be my responsiability to go back to the arresting P.D. when they had me there they had taken other photos befor they charged me with anytihing.I realy feel like they didn't care that my boyfriend had been arrested befor for spliting both my lips and leaving many other marks on my body.Or the fact that they didn't find a knife nor did any of my neighbors see a knife but they did see him on top of me inside the car & said that yes I did try to stop when he ran behind the car while I was reversing.I just don't understand the whole thing.Any answers?State of California.

[Edited by lfaith_l on 02-02-2001 at 03:19 PM]

racer72

A couple of comments and and questions. You are going to be charged with the most serious offense, drug possession. And the busted you for the D.V. because you used more force than was used against you. And my question is, why in the hell do you stay with someone that hits you? Do you enjoy getting beat up or are the drugs clouding your mind? It is obvious from the length of your post that you want help. Unless you change your lifestyle, you can get all the legal advice available and none of it will do you any good. As for your legal troubles, you are going to need a good lawyer. And for your personal troubles, get clean, dump the jerk, do something with your life. If you don't, you just wasted your time and mine. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">