• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

where to file for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abmem

My husband and I lived in Wisconsin. He is working in las vegas and I am living in Illinois, from monday to friday and going to our wisconsin house over the weekend. Can I still file for divorce in wisconsin? I have been living in il, for 2 months. Thanks.

Silverplum

My husband and I lived in Wisconsin. He is working in las vegas and I am living in Illinois, from monday to friday and going to our wisconsin house over the weekend. Can I still file for divorce in wisconsin? I have been living in il, for 2 months. Thanks.
What address would you use as your legal address in WI?

And would that be perjury?

LdiJ

You haven't been living in IL long enough to be a resident yet. Therefore in my opinion you would file in WI.

LdiJ

And what address would s/he use in WI?

And would that be perjury??

:rolleyes:
She states that she returns to their marital home on weekends, therefore obviously she still has a residence in WI. Therefore no, it would not be perjury to use the marital address. Until she established legal residency in IL, she is still a legal resident of WI.

A person is not in limbo with no legal state of residence until they establish residency in a new state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">