• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenrn2

What is the name of your state? IA
My friend was with a guy and while dating she loaned him over $10,000 to help him pay off his trailer. While dating he had paid her (inconsistently) a total of about $900. A month ago or so he stopped talking with her and he hasn't paid her any money since. The loan that she took out is in her name of course and she didn't have him sign anything before she gave him the money. Does she have any legal rights to get her money back?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? IA
My friend was with a guy and while dating she loaned him over $10,000 to help him pay off his trailer. While dating he had paid her (inconsistently) a total of about $900. A month ago or so he stopped talking with her and he hasn't paid her any money since. The loan that she took out is in her name of course and she didn't have him sign anything before she gave him the money. Does she have any legal rights to get her money back?
No legal rights because there's no legal situation.

Her ability to recover? Not likely at all.

LdiJ

No legal rights because there's no legal situation.

Her ability to recover? Not likely at all.
Its not a family law issue, its a contract law issue. Oral contracts can sometimes fly. 10k is enough to make it at least worth a try.

Otherwise, I would certainly be issuing the dude a 1099-C and taking a bad debt expense on my tax return.

Silverplum

Its not a family law issue, its a contract law issue. Oral contracts can sometimes fly. 10k is enough to make it at least worth a try.

Otherwise, I would certainly be issuing the dude a 1099-C and taking a bad debt expense on my tax return.
Okey-dokey.

BUT when some loon tries to say I owe them $10K and they can't prove it? I'm gonna WIN in court. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">