• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need legal help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James Akers

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

My father passed away in June 2003. His estate involves a ranch on the Otero Mesa and is still in probate. I have two sisters and it has been an ongoing battle. I had criminal charges against me involving one of my sisters and had a public defender for that. My criminal case is over but my sisters have filed 5 civil suits against me. I cannot afford an attorney and have tried resources in NM to obtain free legal aid. I was referred to several attorneys but no one would take the case. I had no choice but to represent myself in the civil suits. This has been a disaster. I had to go to court on March 24, 2008 for one of the civil suits. The Judge awarded my sister $3300.00 for medical reimbursement and $800,000.00 for damages. There is no way I can pay this. Can I file an appeal and if so how do I file an appeal? I received a Final Judgement from my sister's attorney that I am suppose to sign and return to their office and they will file it with the court for the Judge's consideration. If I sign this Final Judgement does that mean I cannot file an appeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">