• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

still married seperated 19 yrs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scooter58

What is the name of your state? VA. I just found out that I am still married to a man who's family said we were divorced. Now we are going to file on our own. But I have found out that he owns property and may have received a very large insurance settlement. Should I ask for half? He was convicted of assault against me, held me hostage and practically ruined my life. I feel it's the least he can do is compensate me.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? VA. I just found out that I am still married to a man who's family said we were divorced. Now we are going to file on our own. But I have found out that he owns property and may have received a very large insurance settlement. Should I ask for half? He was convicted of assault against me, held me hostage and practically ruined my life. I feel it's the least he can do is compensate me.
Its been 19 years. Wouldn't it just be cleaner to be legally done with him?

In any case, consult a local attorney. If you are going to attempt it you certainly can't do it without an attorney, and you will need to know upfront what the case will cost you, and how much financial risk that poses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">