• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Florida, Need some guidance if possible!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moonshine99

What is the name of your state? Florida

My wife recently walked out on our marraige and has indicated that she now wants a divorce. We were married less than a year ago, but have lived together for almost 10 years and have a house together for a bit over 7yrs.

She has been the primary breadwinner for the last 2+ years and I have provided minimal income to the household as I have been maintaining the house during that time. During the first 7+ years of our relationship we were about even as far as income and contributions to the household and its expenses, etc.

Other than the house, which we are on together, there are only a few assets to be worked through. There are a couple of retirement accounts as well as a business investment and all of these items are in her name only. The retirement accounts were reflected on our mortgage paperwork and played a part in us getting the house, but I am wondering what if any rights I have to these assets being that they were all set-up in her name only? Am I only able to seek 50% of the house and joint bank accounts?

Hoping for some guidance.

Thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida

My wife recently walked out on our marraige and has indicated that she now wants a divorce. We were married less than a year ago, but have lived together for almost 10 years and have a house together for a bit over 7yrs.

She has been the primary breadwinner for the last 2+ years and I have provided minimal income to the household as I have been maintaining the house during that time. During the first 7+ years of our relationship we were about even as far as income and contributions to the household and its expenses, etc.

Other than the house, which we are on together, there are only a few assets to be worked through. There are a couple of retirement accounts as well as a business investment and all of these items are in her name only. The retirement accounts were reflected on our mortgage paperwork and played a part in us getting the house, but I am wondering what if any rights I have to these assets being that they were all set-up in her name only? Am I only able to seek 50% of the house and joint bank accounts?

Hoping for some guidance.

Thank you
You are entitled to 50% of any asset that your name is on, as well as being responsible for 50% of any debt your name is on. Otherwise, you are only entitled to 50% of whatever asset or responsible for 50% of whatever debt accrued during the MARRIAGE. Since that has been less than a year, its not likely that you are going to be entitled to much regarding her business assets or retirement accounts. The fact that you lived together for 10 years before the marriage is irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">