• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to Do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sloren

There was a judgement levied against me over a house that was leased by another person in the state of Fl. She leased
this house and put my name on it, My signiture is nowhere on any documents, she perjured herself under oath stating that we were married along with other perjured statments. I asked
an attorney here, but did not get a clear answer , the other
problem is I did not know that a case has to be appealled within 30 days, but I don't know if it would apply in this case? Is there any way I can get myself out of this nightmare and if not Is there a statute of limitations on collecting a judgement? I was also not present throu any of these hearings as I work out of state and did not know what was happening.....Any help would be deeply appreciated.

JETX

Though your post is somewhat confusing, and really doesn't state what your case is, I will try to 'devine' an answer.

It seems that someone falsely claimed that the two of you were married, and signed your name to a lease. Then, 'someone' sued you (I assume the landlord) and got a default judgment against you.

You now want to know how to vacate the judgment, and the appeals clock has expired.

If this assumption is correct, you need to contact the original court and ask the procedure for 'vacating the judgment'. It sounds like you have a couple of possible approaches: Improper service, fraudulent filing, improper style, etc. The court staff should be able to help you.

You might also contact the Plaintiff (landlord) and explain that you had no contractual obligation for the lease and that he/she needs to complete a "Satisfaction of Judgment" form (that is the simplest way to make it disappear) releasing you from any obligation. Advise that if he/she doesn't do this, you might take action against them for 'abuse of process', 'malicious prosecution' and fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">