• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I eligible for annulment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PuzzledInCA

Here is my situation:

I live in California. I got married to a Chinese girl 3 years ago, and now she came to the States to live with me this Jan. After we got married, I visited her once a year before she came over. Her family supported her all the time after she quit the job to prepare the exams and application process to go to MBA program here. In essence, we lived completely separately then.

Now I have doubts about the marriage. Am I still eligible for annulment just based on the length of the marriage?

garrula lingua

File for a divorce.

You have not stated any grounds for annullment.

The process for annulling a marriage is more difficult than a divorce; the cost is the same.

Just file a Petition for divorce based on Irreconcilable Differences.

PuzzledInCA

Thanks for the reply, "garrula lingua". I don't think I didn't express myself well.

I heard that people could only get annulment within the first 3 years. In my case, even though we are already married for more than 3 years, we never lived together until Jan. It's almost like newly weds.

I'm wondering whether I'm already NOT eligible for annulment just because it's more than 3 years. If this is the case, then I won't even bother to try the annulment approach.

LdiJ

Thanks for the reply, "garrula lingua". I don't think I didn't express myself well.

I heard that people could only get annulment within the first 3 years. In my case, even though we are already married for more than 3 years, we never lived together until Jan. It's almost like newly weds.

I'm wondering whether I'm already NOT eligible for annulment just because it's more than 3 years. If this is the case, then I won't even bother to try the annulment approach.
Why do you feel that an annulment is something that you want, rather than a divorce?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">