• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

locating a settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daisy_maze@msn

I really need some answers! My son won a lawsuit as a minor and is to be issued a check at age 18 which will be in less than 30 days. I don't know who has it as his father passed away and had all the paperwork in his apartment. The family got rid of everything and now I have nothing. The lawyer won't tell me anything because he said to much time has passed and he doesn't have the file active anymore. What do I do????? Please help!

las365

What county and state was the lawsuit filed in? Who was your son's "Next Friend" or parental representative in the lawsuit? Which insurance company paid the settlement? When you refer to "the lawyer" do you mean the lawyer who represented your son?

The money could have been placed into the Registry of the Court or into an annuity. In some circumstances, it can go straight to the parents (and is usually gone by the time the kid turns 18).

daisy_maze@msn

money

My son's lawyer was my representation but on his behalf. We live in MI and the case was won as I found out in Genesee county. The lawyer sueded the ex-wife's home insurance company of my then husband. The lawyer settled out of court so no paperwork was filed in his chart. The lawyer told me at the time he found a place to put the money and it would go until his birthday. Great if now I could locate it for him. The court clerk said it would be the obligation of the financial institution to contact my son at his 18th birthday but I wouldn't bank on anyone handing over his rightfully won money. I have had no insight into this matter from the lawyer, court house, or any party. How do I find this company or do I just hope the financial institution will come forward?!

las365

The lawyer sueded the ex-wife's home insurance company of my then husband.
Contact the insurance company and they should be able to ferret out their old records of where the money went.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">