• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce... what a drag

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MyAlibi

What is the name of your state? Tx

Can some one tell me if there is a time limit on getting a divorce after the petition has been filed?

Thanks in advance for your help

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Tx

Can some one tell me if there is a time limit on getting a divorce after the petition has been filed?

Thanks in advance for your help
Most states have a time limit on how long a case can remain inactive (and it varies) but I don't believe that any state has a time limit on how long an active case can take.

MyAlibi

Divorce.... what a drag

Thank You!

My stbx told me that his lawyer called him and said we need to get a move on or the petition will expire? I have never been through this before so am learning daily. He claims that the atty said.... If you don't get this settled we will have to file an extension .... and you can only do one extension for 30 days.

Very strange... I will be making some calls this morning

mommyof4

Is this the actual divorce petition or is this an appeal?

If it is an appeal, then yes, there is a 30 day filing window.

LdiJ

Thank You!

My stbx told me that his lawyer called him and said we need to get a move on or the petition will expire? I have never been through this before so am learning daily. He claims that the atty said.... If you don't get this settled we will have to file an extension .... and you can only do one extension for 30 days.

Very strange... I will be making some calls this morning
If its been inactive (as far as the court is concerned) for the amount of time that your state allows for, then it very well might be expiring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">