• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prenup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bwrig1

What is the name of your state? Georgia

:D Does a prenup protect the person after 20 years. I had my home and my business before we married and this is my third marriage, no kids so I have a prenup. She went in safety deposit box and tore our copy up, but I have the original from my attorney. This has been a rough one, she wants everything I own, including my clothes, am I safe?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia

:D Does a prenup protect the person after 20 years. I had my home and my business before we married and this is my third marriage, no kids so I have a prenup. She went in safety deposit box and tore our copy up, but I have the original from my attorney. This has been a rough one, she wants everything I own, including my clothes, am I safe?
Many attorneys are successfully able to break many prenuptual agreements in the divorce process. So, its not a guarantee. However, its also not guaranteed that it could be broken. PLEASE get yourself a good attorney. You need better advice than what you can get from an internet message forum.

xylene

Rip things in half!

The fact that she tore up a copy does not have any bearing on the agreement being in force.

If the prenuptial is overturned it will not be because of a unilateral shredding of a document.

Ldji is right, you need a lawyer straight away.

In fairness, this attempt by your wife to destroy important marital records does in any way enhance her position or credibility. If she is not aware of the binding copy (aka the one the lawyer has) do not make her aware. It would be cute if her destruction of the paper in the deposit box baited her into perjury or other favorable admission.

Keep your cool and get a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">