• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement Pay to Former Spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kremlin256

What is the name of your state? Idaho

My x wife divorced me in 2003 and recevied 50% of my retirement pay. I have received 30% disablity from the VA since I retired in 1994. The Army deducts that 30% pay from my retirement and the VA provides that income in a tax free manner. My x was married to me for 15 years of my military service years short of my actual time in service yet was awarded 50% of my retirement and also as a result 50% of my VA disability payment by default. She remarried in 2006 and has been living with her current husband since 2002 nearly a year before our divorce was final. The army is still deducting my Surrvior Bennefit payments from my portion of my retirement and will not stop it even thou my x wife is remarried. I don't know what to do at this point the whole settlement was based on lies by my x and her attorneys, I was not present during the divorce she lives in Idaho and I live in California. What happend is her attorneys nickle and dimed me to death with requirements from my lawyer until I ran out of money to afford a lawyer any longer. My lawyer never filed the paperwork I sent to him to validate the fact that my x and her lawyers were lying. Each time they scheduled a court date my lawyer would give them the paperwork prior to the hearing and they inturn would vacate the hearing resulting in simply wasting my time and money and the paperwork facts never becoming a part of the case files. I have never remarried, she divorced me to be with a many 15 years younger than her, this settlement to me is a perversion of the intent of the original law that was originally designed to protect former spouses from the opposite from happening. As it is now it is a no fault settlement no matter who leaves who the spouse seems to be awarded the retirement. There is a lot more to be said but this is the basics. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to get my retirment back in full, or at the very least why am I still paying for the survior benifit insurance for her when she is remarried. I am unemployed and have been for several years now, she on the other hand is employed, recieving my retirment, benifits from the state of Idaho because she is the care taker for her disabled brother. Her income is far greater than mine with all that she recieves, she is remarried and also shares her new husbands income and I sit here trying to survive in California on roughly $1,350 dollars a month.What is the name of your state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">