• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making amendments to a living trust?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amuze

What is the name of your state? California

My Mother passed away, and I just received the trust documents. It was amended 3 times. should the amendments have been witnessed, or was having them notarized good enough? The reason I ask, is that it went from a 50/50 split with my sister, to 99/1 split.

Dandy Don

Now you get to decide whether your mother made these changes of her own free will because she liked your sister better, which is her right to make such changes if that is what she truly desired, or whether mother suffered from a disease or was taking medication that may have impaired her mental capacity, making her susceptible to undue influence by the sister. Talk to the notary to ask about your mother's general state of mind when she brought the documents there (and the sister's behavior/demeanor), just to see what the notary says, although that is not a valid medical opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">