• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When is an Estate too small for Probate (Oregon)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kihoalu

For Oregon, when is an estate to smalll?

For an estate that does not have real estate or even automobiles, what total value of personal property can be transferred without probate?

There must be some lower limit (smaller that the legally defined "small estate"), otherwise a person who owned nothing more than a toaster would still have to go through probate. I have searched the internet for several days and cannot find a number for this for Oregon (or any other state for that matter).

Kihoalu

Thank you for the quick response seniorJudge.

I have already previously completely read (and downloaded) your first link:

http://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1117.htm

and there is NO MENTION of the estate valuation limit that escapes probate (just the "small estate" limit that I already indicated above was not the information I needed).

I also read thru many of the links on the other (first) web page you reference:

http://www.ojd.state.or.us/mar/probate/index.htm

And I cannot find the valuation that escapes Probate in any of those links either!
(just some fee schedules, which are useful in their own right).

So thanks for the response, but neither of these links answer the question I have asked.

Does the estate of a man who dies with just a $5 toaster (and a will, and no debts) have to go though Probate in Oregon?

How about a man with just a $5000 Rolex (and a will, and no debts)?, etc., etc..

There must be some sort of statutory lower limit for property transfer for probate.
(and I am NOT talking about the "small estate" threshold).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">