• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

financial responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sb1974

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have been separated from my husband since November 2005. There is no such thing as "legal separation" here in Pennsylvania. We haven't lived together since 11/2005 and neither of us has filed for divorce. (yet)

Am I legally responsible for any debts he's incurred since he moved out? He has my social security number and I don't think he'd think twice about using it to run up bills in my name. Although, right now, my credit report is good and there are no suspicious problems with it. (I just checked it last week.)

If he doesn't put my name on any of his debts, am I legally responsible for any debts he has with just his name on them?

I know, right now, he's hard up for money. I've heard through the "grapevine" that he plans to file for divorce and ask for alimony. I'm pretty sure he doesn't qualify for alimony, though. There's a good chance that I have a better income than he does, now, but, I didn't work for 10 years before he moved out.What is the name of your state?

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have been separated from my husband since November 2005. There is no such thing as "legal separation" here in Pennsylvania. We haven't lived together since 11/2005 and neither of us has filed for divorce. (yet)

Am I legally responsible for any debts he's incurred since he moved out? He has my social security number and I don't think he'd think twice about using it to run up bills in my name. Although, right now, my credit report is good and there are no suspicious problems with it. (I just checked it last week.)

If he doesn't put my name on any of his debts, am I legally responsible for any debts he has with just his name on them?

I know, right now, he's hard up for money. I've heard through the "grapevine" that he plans to file for divorce and ask for alimony. I'm pretty sure he doesn't qualify for alimony, though. There's a good chance that I have a better income than he does, now, but, I didn't work for 10 years before he moved out.What is the name of your state?
That means he took care of you for 10 years and now isn't it time you took care of him???

sb1974

No I certainly don't think so. He cheated on me the entire time we were married and left me nearly destitute to move in with someone he met on the internet.

TinkerBelleLuvr

So, how is the man surviving without the alimony NOW? Has he eaten/had a roof over his head/etc since he's been gone? Alimony has a place when a person has NOT worked for a period of time and may need a SHORT handup after the divorce. From the sounds of it, he's working.

Any children?

Bali Hai

No I certainly don't think so. He cheated on me the entire time we were married and left me nearly destitute to move in with someone he met on the internet.
Well of course these things have nothing to do with alimony. If you switched roles I'm sure you would be asking the forum how much alimony you should ask from him!!

Bethy

legally still married

While separated (legal papers were in the works, but as you stated, PA doesn't "recognize" separation) and under different roofs, my soon-to-be-ex forged my name on some checks (made out to him and me, he signed my name to deposit) and I filed a civil case and a police report. The civil case came back stating that this was "domestic" and they would not 'touch' it. The only thing I could do was contact HIS bank (we did not use the same one) and proved that signature was not mine so they put a freeze on the check, and a "red" flag on his account if anything was deposited w/ my name (there was one more future check, which he needed a notary proof of my signature to deposit). Legally, the only thing that could be done was my lawyer wrote his lawyer telling him of the "no-no" and asking his lawyer to make his client aware he shouldn't be doing that. PA really does need a legal separation status....it might even save a few marriages, but financially, many can't afford to risk losing alot if 'only' separated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">