• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finalizing the divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aron77

What is the name of your state? New York

My ex and I signed a general agreement June 2007 (following up with a detailed agreement soon after) the day before we were to go to trial. This agreement stipulated custody (joint with spheres of decision making) and an exact dollar amount I was to receive along with dates regarding the split of money/assets. I sought no alimony nor child support, simply a portion of our overall assets, in a lump sum of cash since it is sitting in the bank anyway and no assets need to be sold for this. Being that he maintained all money in his name, I never had access to the bank accounts so could not simply withdraw it myself.

His version of the detailed settlement has ridiculous conditions (i.e. children cannot meet anyone the parent is dating unless it has been monogamous for at least one year and/or they are engaged or married) and he will not accept any of my edits. As a result, this has not been signed and he has not given me any of the money we agreed to and I am still not legally divorced. Of course I seek interest now as well.

Nine months have gone by and although my attorney periodically will reply to an email of mine saying that he is working on it, mentioned he would set up a conference with the judge to finalize the divorce based simply on the general agreement and the transcript from court which we read the agreement out loud, nothing is happening.

What can I do to rattle things up and move forward?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">