• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not sure what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dannisgirl

What is the name of your state? new york i have been married for almost 20 years and have 3 children between the ages of 7 and 21. my husband owns the house that we live in as well as all of the vehicles. everything is in his name! we have recently talked about a separation and possibly a divorce. i would like to know what my legal rights are to the property and the automobiles. everything that is in his name was purchased AFTER we had already been married for more than 10 years. do i have any legal rights? also, he is talking about moving out of state and would want to take our youngest child with him. can he legally do that without a court order or can he just up and leave with him? he has said numerous times that i am not entitled to anything and that if it came down to it he would sell his property to a family member so that i nor our children would be able to benefit from it. can you please give me any type of assistance to help me find the legal answers to my questions and concerns?! thank youWhat is the name of your state?

Perky

What is the name of your state? new york i have been married for almost 20 years and have 3 children between the ages of 7 and 21. my husband owns the house that we live in as well as all of the vehicles. everything is in his name! we have recently talked about a separation and possibly a divorce. i would like to know what my legal rights are to the property and the automobiles. everything that is in his name was purchased AFTER we had already been married for more than 10 years. do i have any legal rights? also, he is talking about moving out of state and would want to take our youngest child with him. can he legally do that without a court order or can he just up and leave with him? he has said numerous times that i am not entitled to anything and that if it came down to it he would sell his property to a family member so that i nor our children would be able to benefit from it. can you please give me any type of assistance to help me find the legal answers to my questions and concerns?! thank youWhat is the name of your state?
There is a lot of info on the website below regarding New York divorce law. It's not the state's site, but has articles about the laws written in layman's terms.

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_york/

Good Luck.

Bali Hai

He may be talking completely out of his ass to scare you and make you hysterical.

Consult with an attorney who specializes in this area. Many will give you a free consultation for least an hour.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">