• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

yeah... community property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

impatient

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Question, my husband is telling me to get a good lawyer because when I had one day to move my things out of our apartment, I took all of the wedding presents that my family and friends purchased and gifted to me and left the ones his family and friends gifted to him. Now since I don't want to give up the pots that my friend from before high school gave me, he's wanting to sue me for half the presents. I told him fine... you can pay half the wedding. He doesn't want to do that. He musn't realize that half of the wedding presents costs wayyyy less than hiring a lawyer. I would hate to sue him for adultry, I don't want it to get ugly I just want it over! We were only married for 9 months... it's a shame people can be so easily controlled to be this vindictive! Can he really sue me for half of the wedding presents? What about my engagement ring and wedding band?

Silverplum

Question, my husband is telling me to get a good lawyer because when I had one day to move my things out of our apartment, I took all of the wedding presents that my family and friends purchased and gifted to me and left the ones his family and friends gifted to him. Now since I don't want to give up the pots that my friend from before high school gave me, he's wanting to sue me for half the presents. I told him fine... you can pay half the wedding. He doesn't want to do that. He musn't realize that half of the wedding presents costs wayyyy less than hiring a lawyer. I would hate to sue him for adultry, I don't want it to get ugly I just want it over! We were only married for 9 months... it's a shame people can be so easily controlled to be this vindictive! Can he really sue me for half of the wedding presents? What about my engagement ring and wedding band?
You can google the divorce and property laws of LA.

seniorjudge

The past tense of give is gave, not "gifted".

Q: Can he really sue me for half of the wedding presents? What about my engagement ring and wedding band?

A: Yes; when you file your lawsuit, all this will be at issue.

The wedding gifts were presumably given to both of you and are considered marital property rather than separate property based on who's friends/family gave them. Therefore, your divorce judge will allocate the property.

The rings are likely considered to be gifts and are yours to keep.

seniorjudge

The wedding gifts were presumably given to both of you and are considered marital property rather than separate property based on who's friends/family gave them. Therefore, your divorce judge will allocate the property.

The rings are likely considered to be gifts and are yours to keep.
"...based on who is friends..."

The grammar on this board is steadily going downhill! ;)

majomom1

You evidentally don't realize that new pots would also cost wayyyy less than an attorney. Believe me - those presents are not worth fighting over. I know it sounds harsh, but be thankful you found out now, rather than later. Get divorced and move on... save yourself a lot of grief and money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">