• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help With Stepparent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OneSpock

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

To Whom it May Concern,

If anyone could advise me here I would be greatly appreciative. I have been with my girlfriend for over 2 years at this point, an dvery shortly we are getting married. She already has two children, boys, ages 5 Xander and 3 Masin from previous relationships. One from a previous marraige and another from just a relationship. I have lived with and taken care of her and the boys for two years now, and would like to adopt them as my own after the wedding. However, after researching the laws in Pa i have discovered that I need to get consent from the fathers. This upsets me because neither father has been in their lives in any way. Haven't payed child support, or even attempted to visit or even contact. I'm not sure that the youngest's fathers name is on his birth certificate. I just wanted to know if I still had to go through these steps of contacting them and attempting to gain permission? I love these boys as if they were my own, and see fit to go to court to prove their father's unfit if needs be, but would like to settle this matter as easily and with the least stress on the boys. Neither one even knows what their biological father looks like and I don't want to burden them with such things. Also, if the father's name isnt on the birth certificate, do I still need to obtain permission? Once again, thanks, and any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Trevor Spock

Just Blue

Start by searching this site for step-parent adoptions in your state. Then come back with questions.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

To Whom it May Concern,

If anyone could advise me here I would be greatly appreciative. I have been with my girlfriend for over 2 years at this point, an dvery shortly we are getting married. She already has two children, boys, ages 5 Xander and 3 Masin from previous relationships. One from a previous marraige and another from just a relationship. I have lived with and taken care of her and the boys for two years now, and would like to adopt them as my own after the wedding. However, after researching the laws in Pa i have discovered that I need to get consent from the fathers. This upsets me because neither father has been in their lives in any way. Haven't payed child support, or even attempted to visit or even contact. I'm not sure that the youngest's fathers name is on his birth certificate. I just wanted to know if I still had to go through these steps of contacting them and attempting to gain permission? I love these boys as if they were my own, and see fit to go to court to prove their father's unfit if needs be, but would like to settle this matter as easily and with the least stress on the boys. Neither one even knows what their biological father looks like and I don't want to burden them with such things. Also, if the father's name isnt on the birth certificate, do I still need to obtain permission? Once again, thanks, and any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely, Trevor Spock
Golly, you just have so very many reasons why you and the childrens' mother should not have to follow the law of your state. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Doesn't matter. The law is in place for many reasons, and it must be followed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">