• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

married in the philippines, not here in the us.. divorce or annullment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

average

sorry, title should have been married in the philippines, residing in the us.. divorce or annullment?

What is the name of your state? California

we have been married for 5 years now. we got married in the philippines. husband is a US citizen and I am a permanent resident.. we have a baby born in the US. husband is a gambler, violent physically and verbally, does not give money to wife, no joint savings. while on a vacation in the philippines, husband apparently cheated and gambled all the time. i am left here in the philippines with my baby. husband only sends money for the baby. what do i need to file, annullment or divorce? can i claim support for the baby and myself? please help!

average

i am actually planning to go to the US in maybe 2 months. havent made up my mind yet if i really want out of the marriage. but given the situation (and i am so mad right now i really hate him!) i'm trying to weigh the possibilities.

i'm just wondering if we get a divorce in teh US, what would be our status in the Pihlippines then?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i am actually planning to go to the US in maybe 2 months. havent made up my mind yet if i really want out of the marriage. but given the situation (and i am so mad right now i really hate him!) i'm trying to weigh the possibilities.

i'm just wondering if we get a divorce in teh US, what would be our status in the Pihlippines then?
This is a US law forum - that is a Philippine law question - sorry.

Hubby probably chose marriage in Phllipines because, as a catholic based country, divorce is heavily frowned on and difficult to obtain. I don't immediately see how filing for divorce in another country that did not perform the marriage is going to get around that.

Best of luck though, I'm sure there is some solution.

LdiJ

I happen to know the answer to this question, as I have a collegue who got divorced in similar circumstances just last year.

The philippines will recognize the US divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">