• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married (new) before Divorce (old)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HTMac

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Husband went to work in a foreign country (UAE) 1991. Not full time but with 3 or 4 visits back home each year. We have 2 children (now 15 and 18). Our divirce was 6-2006. Our seperation was official about 5-2006. Turns out he married a (Russian) woman and has a 4 year old child by her ( say 2004). We (his other family (me and the kids)) find this out about a month ago, during his last visit home before moving back here semi-permanently (with his other wife and kid). Since we worked on the divorce agreement after he was married to her and she had the child, and I was not aware of any of this, how can I get him to pay the consequences?
Thanks.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Maryland
Husband went to work in a foreign country (UAE) 1991. Not full time but with 3 or 4 visits back home each year. We have 2 children (now 15 and 18). Our divirce was 6-2006. Our seperation was official about 5-2006. Turns out he married a (Russian) woman and has a 4 year old child by her ( say 2004). We (his other family (me and the kids)) find this out about a month ago, during his last visit home before moving back here semi-permanently (with his other wife and kid). Since we worked on the divorce agreement after he was married to her and she had the child, and I was not aware of any of this, how can I get him to pay the consequences?Thanks.
What consequences?? And how is it connected to the divorce agreement??

HTMac

Doesn't this make him a bigamist? Since I was not aware of what he was doing (getting married and having a child) in the United Arab Emirates while we negotiated the divorce agreement I feel he was not truthful thus tainting the divorce agreement....

Silverplum

Doesn't this make him a bigamist? Since I was not aware of what he was doing (getting married and having a child) in the United Arab Emirates while we negotiated the divorce agreement I feel he was not truthful thus tainting the divorce agreement....
Yes, he was a bigamist. Apparently, he's not anymore.

But what about the divorce agreement would you change, now that you know?? How did you come to an agreement? Did you have an attorney?

The law is not going to help you *punish* him now. Your time in court has come and gone, as far as the divorce goes.

HTMac

Yes, he was a bigamist

so documenting that he was won't make a case for him to be punished?
So you are saying when you break the law if you are not caught then you don't have to pay the consequences?
What is your background?

LdiJ

so documenting that he was won't make a case for him to be punished?
So you are saying when you break the law if you are not caught then you don't have to pay the consequences?
What is your background?
There are two different issues here. If your property settlement equitably divided your marital assets, then the fact that he was a bigamist is not going to change anything.

The second issue is whether or not he can or will be prosecuted for the bigamy. You may be sol on that one. He did not marry the other woman in the United States, he married the other woman in the UAE. He was not a bigamist in the UAE, because the laws in that country allow a man to take multiple wives. He is not a bigamist in the US, because you got divorced before he is bringing his other wife to the US.

In all reality, he didn't break the law anywhere. He wasn't subject to US law (at least on that issue) while he was in the UAE.

HTMac

Married (new) before Divorce (old) - Bigamist

If you say. But how about this. Since he had to return to the US to negotiate the final divorce agreement, after he was married to her and before we were divorced, then wasn't he breaking the law at that time, as soon as he set foot in this country?
After all, he is a US citizen even though his new wife is not. And also, how does that, if at all affect his new marriage status?
He is a defense contractor with a high securitu clearance. Wouldn't the company that he works for be concerned about that?
My main concern is that he now complains about how much it costs to raise a family while out two teenage children are concerned about the college money that he is no longer willing to support them with.
Please, there ought to be a way for this creep to have to pony up to his responsibilities to his children (by his previous marriage), my children.
PS> his is currently back living in the US. with is new wife (of 4 years) and his new child (4 yrs old)

Thanks,
T

Last edited:

Perky

If you say. But how about this. Since he had to return to the US to negotiate the final divorce agreement, after he was married to her and before we were divorced, then wasn't he breaking the law at that time, as soon as he set foot in this country?
After all, he is a US citizen even though his new wife is not. And also, how does that, if at all affect his new marriage status?
He is a defense contractor with a high securitu clearance. Wouldn't the company that he works for be concerned about that?
My main concern is that he now complains about how much it costs to raise a family while out two teenage children are concerned about the college money that he is no longer willing to support them with.
Please, there ought to be a way for this creep to have to pony up to his responsibilities to his children (by his previous marriage), my children.
PS> his is currently back living in the US. with is new wife (of 4 years) and his new child (4 yrs old)

Thanks,
T
If you want to pursue your ex's marital status with his employer, or with the courts, you should know that you will only jeopardize whatever support you currently receive from him, IF either one is interested in your story.

You've already been advised that you cannot modify your divorce/support agreement because of his behavior. It's not clear what more you want.

LdiJ

I don't think that he was. He wasn't asking the US to recognize his second marriage at that time. He was only asking the US to dissolve his existing legal marriage in the US.

I don't know that it effects his new marriage status at all...This is an odd situation. The US generally recognizes any marriage that was legal in another country. His second marriage was legal in the UAE and its not illegal in the US now because he is already divorced from you.

Maybe....but again I don't know...this is an unusual situation.

Thanks,
T
I honestly understand your concerns....however, messing him up with his employers won't make things better for your children, they will only make things worse.

Please get a sit down, face to face consult with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">