• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd degree murder/Contributing to the delinquency of a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theherkman

MN

The defendant allowed his home to be used for a party by some friends. He wasn't aware of underage drinking, but some occurred. His buddy brought in the liquor. He thought everyone at the party was of legal age, however two girls were not. One of them was sixteen. She became intoxicated and stumbled outside where she lost her way and died of exposure. The defendant is being charged with 2nd degree manslaughter and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

This is for a mock trial case in my law class. I am the defendant's lawyer. Can anyone help me out? Is he really liable for her death? He didn't serve or encourage drinking, but he also thought that everyone was of legal age.

Just Blue

How will you learn anything if we do your homework for you? You need to look up case law and state statute.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
But at least the kid is up front about it being homework.

OP - google is your friend. Spend some time finding what you can, and then come back with specific questions based on what you read. We may help you figure things out, but we won't do it for you. ;)

theherkman

I have done some research on the subject. Applicipal statutes are 609.205, "manslaughter in the second degree", as well as 260.315, "contributing to the delinquency of a minor".

His friend only USED his house. Basically, it was not the defendant's idea to hold a party , it was not his idea to bring alcohol, he was not involved in a purchase; however he knew that there would be alcohol. He also thought that everyone was over 21. The girl who died left his house with some friends to go to a pizza parlor around midnight. It closed at one and she tried to walk home. Since this was during the winter, she died of exposure because she was too intoxicated to find her way home. The defendant was seen serving her that night, but he thought she was of legal age. Also, since it was his home, not his party, he didn't invite her. His friend didn't invite her either. She kind of "invited herself" to the party, "stopped in", and joined in the drinking.

Is the defendant truly responsible for her death? How about contributing to the delinquency of a minor? He thought she was legal, does that count for something? Even though ignorance isn't bliss, is he at fault? He isn't denying serving her, he is denying knowledge of her age. Are private parties required to card? Is there a law about that?

Thanks for your help!

seniorjudge

I don't usually answer homework questions, but this intrigues me.

If I were the defendant's lawyer, I would FIRST ask for $25K up front, not refundable.:D

Then, I would try to make my client look as stupid as humanly possible.

Rumpole of the Bailey won lots of cases like that.

Another thing you do is constantly attack the truthfulness and credibility of the prosecutor's witnesses.

Ask them about how much they had to drink, etc. before you light into them about how they can prove themselves to be good witnesses if they were drinking, etc.

Make your client look as sympathetic as possible.

He was only doing the kids a favor.

He had no control over what was happening.

He is really stupid.

He was watching "Deal Or No Deal" and was therefore brain dead.

Stuff like that.

Post back with results of your trial.

I am subscribing to this thread.:cool:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I know homework is a no-no, but this is fun. And the only risk here is to the OP's career.

First, 260.315 was repealed in 1999. The applicable statute for contributing to the delinquency appears to be 260B-425.

The criteria for 609.205 includes: (1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or (2) through (5), which aren't applicable here.

Did he consciously put her at risk? How many drinks did he serve her? Did he continue to serve her after she was visibly intoxicated? In any case, if he thought she was of legal age he did not consciously contribute to the intoxication of a minor, although the manslaughter charge doesn't make a distinction with regard to age. I guess whether or not he was obliged to make a reasonable attempt to ascertain her age would make a difference here, but I don't know if he was or not. (Now that I've read that a couple of times, it really seems kinda lame, but it's all I can think of.)

Can her BAC at the time of death be determined? Some time elapsed between her leaving the party, going to the restaurant, eating (if she did, which would further affect her BAC, wouldn't it?), hanging out there with her friends for some length of time, and then trying to walk home. Does her BAC support the theory that the only alcohol she had was at the party, or is it reasonable to believe she may have had more alcohol after leaving the party (possibly at the restaurant?) which increased her intoxication to the point she was at risk?

This is why I'm glad I'm not a lawyer. Trying to defend someone you think is guilty as sin is hard.

theherkman

@seniorjudge- I didn't think about making my client look stupid, but would that help? Wouldn't that just make the jury find him guilty? I will be attacking the credibility of the prosecution's witnesses. Thank you for reminding me. I looked over the police reports and found that two of the witnesses had AT LEAST 6 drinks and where high on marijuana. My client is sympathetic. He honestly didn't know that she was underage. He trusted his buddy to invite legal age only. The only bad thing is that he served the kid who died a bottle of brandy after she complained about the sour whiskey. Also, a teacher from her high school had knowledge of the party before it happened and he didn't report it. He will be fun on cross. *Devilish grin* He also saw them at the pizza parlor and thought they were intoxicated, but didn't tell anyone.

@Clt747- OP? This mock trial has to be at LEAST 15 years old. The drinking age was 18 for the trial, so I'm thinking pre '85? He did only server her one drink, so I suppose he didn't consciously put her at risk. As for the COD charge, I fully expect the jury to return a guilty verdict. However the punishment isn't very severe. I just need to get him off of the manslaughter charge.

Her BAC was .14, she started drinking at 8:00 PM. Drunk back then was .1. Time of death was 2:00 AM. Body throws off .015 every hour. Expert witness says 8-10 drinks at one ounce per drink (takes decrease into account) would give that BAC. The defendant gave the two girls a quart of brandy. They obviously didn't drink it all. BAC would have been much higher. She also had several joints of weed.

Thanks!

CavemanLawyer

First, you say that this scenario appears old. Is it just an outdated exercise or do these events actually take place years ago? If this is set in the past than you have to use the laws that were in effect at the time, so that could change everything.

Delinquency of a Minor

Its interesting that this hypo uses the delinquency statute to charge the individual, since it is a very broad charge and Minnesota has a specific law for furnishing alcohol to a minor. (340A.503 Subdivision 2.) Whether this move was intentional or not, it would represent a mistake by the DA's office and, in my opinion, open some defensive doors. The actual furnishing statute does not allow any kind of defense for a good faith belief that the person was of legal drinking age, unless that belief were based on an authorized form of ID (driver's license, birth certificate, etc...) Read 340A.503 to see what I mean. But the delinquency statute doesn't limit this defense so I believe you could attack the mental state for the offense and argue that the Defendant did not know the girl was a minor and thus could not contribute to their delinquency. Another important point is that under the delinquency statute, a minor is defined as someone under the age of 18. So he'd only need to believe that she was at least 18, not 21. This also might explain why your hypo uses a "drinking age" of 18 and not 21. I don't think it is saying that the drinking age is 18, it probably just defines minor as someone under 18 because that's how its defined by the delinquency statute. The two statutes define minor differently.

For example, to understand the unwise move of using this statute as opposed to the furnishing statute, consider the same facts but as if the girl were 19 years old. The def. could not commit contributing to delinquency of a minor, because she is not a minor under that statute, she'd have to be under 18. But he could still be charged with furnishing to a minor, because under that statute a minor is defined as someone under 21.

This is all crap to throw out there, none of it is much of a defense. The defendant is guilty of either one of these charges (furnishing or contributing to del. of minor) because you said he actually served her at least one drink. Considering the way the night turned out, any judge or jury would convict on those facts. So you give and take. You tell them to go ahead and hold him responsible for that, and only that, because the other part of it (manslaughter) was just a tragic accident...not a criminal act.

Manslaughter

I have dealt with almost this exact hypo several times in real life, though in another state. We'd get calls like this when I was in the DA's office, but the facts were always that the parents served alcohol to their child and his/her friends and then someone tried to drive home and killed themselves. You can only charge them with furnishing alcohol. This is NOT manslaughter if all they did was serve some alcohol. You've got to look at what caused the death and what the defendant did and ask if there is any real connection and whether the defendant's actions were so reckless that it created the risk. If someone had died of alcohol poisoning, that's be one thing, but this is exposure. That is a freak accident and not nearly as foreseeable just by serving alcohol. The girl could just as easily have gotten lost while sober. The girl could have just as easily been of drinking age and still died of exposure under the same circumstances. Would he be charged with manslaughter then? Of course not, but why? Does the fact that she is underage really contribute to her death? Only very slightly because you can expect minors to be less responsible with alcohol, but does that difference create an unreasonable risk that she will wander off and die from exposure??? I think the notion is silly even for a mock trial. The crux of this issue for me is that she left the party with others and then went to a restaurant for some time and then left by herself to go home. How is the defendant reckless in regards to leaving her subject to exposure? She left with people. She went to another location where THEY were in control of the premises. If it was so unreasonable and such a clear risk to allow her, in her intoxicated state, to leave his presence than the same is true for the operator(s) of the restaurant. The same is true for her friends who let her walk home. Because once again, its really not the alcohol that killed her its the weather. Compare the defendant's actions to her friends. The Defendant let her leave, despite her intoxication, with multiple other people to care for her and I presume they left in a car which provides protection from the elements. Her friends let her leave, despite her intoxication, by herself with no means of transportation. Who is more culpable for her death? I think its her friends. It doesn't matter who served the alcohol, it matters that she was allowed to take that final walk home. The defendant wasn't the one who let her do that.

Also, you said she was intoxicated on marijuana. He didn't giver her that. How do we know it wasn't the marijuana that caused her become confused and get lost? There's too many variables to pin this on the defendant.

Unless there are other facts that you aren't telling us I don't see this as even being a close call. He left the victim in the care of others and she was safe for quite some time after that. Her later exposure is too far removed from the party and the alcohol for him to have known of that specific risk (exposure) much less consciously disregard it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">