• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

F1 Visa-family Violence/disorderly Conduct-court Dismissed With Protective Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryukyu

I am a student under an F-1 visa. Recently, my girlfriend and I had an argument and because we were loud, my neighbor called the police. Although the police agreed the severity of the situation really does not deserve their attenthion, they nevertheless needed to follow the rule - because we both admitted hitting each other during the argument. We were both issued a "Misdemeanor Summons and Complaint" form in which is listed Disorderly Conduct - Domestic Violence. In addition, we were given a "Conditions of Release, Family Violence" form. We are in the state of Connecticut.

We appeared in court the following Monday and were both issued protective orders by the Superior Court of Connecticut in which we are required to refrain from imposing any restraint upon the person or liberty of the protected person and to refrain from threatening, harassing, stalking, assaulting, molesting, sexually assaulting or attacking the protected person. Neither of us wanted to press charges, and we have been repeatedly told by people that there will not be a permanent record and that we will be dismissed when we report to the court two months later. There is no Docket No. associated with this case.

I am wondering about the following questions:
1. In the future, whene I reapply for a US visa or when I enter the United States, or if I ever apply for Permanent Residency, if I am asked if I have ever been arrested, should my answer be "yes" or "no"? I talked to a someone at the international center and was told that I might have to answer "yes" to this question. What kind of preparation do I need if I am interrogated over this issue? In terms of visa application, will answering "yes" to this question delay the process significantly for me?

2. Is it necessary for me to obtain a letter from a lawyer in reference to this case?

3. If I can ask the police officer to write a letter explaining that the situation is not severe and that they had to "arrest" us to protect us, will it help in any way?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">