• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fedreal tax deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjayk58

I have been separated a little over a year. Wife walked out.Left kids with me. When I do my fedreal taxes will I be able to claim head of household and both my kids under 18? After all they lived with me the entire year, only spent maybe 2 night per week at their mothers house. We have no separation agreement and have not started Divorce yet.

L

loku

Dependency exemption

Since you have been living apart more than 6 months the rules for divorced or separated parents apply to you. Under those rules, if there is no separation agreement or court decree, the parent who provided custody for the greater part of the year, is deemed to have custody and that parent is entitled to the deduction for the dependents. Therefore, you qualify for the deductions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">