• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary dies before estate is disbursed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

medic177

What is the name of your state? New york.

We are executors of a will that is just making disbursements now date of death was last March 07. After being unable to contact one of the beneficiaries who was alive at the time of decedents death last year, we found out she passed away in Febuary this year(08). The will we have is very vague in that it only says that she gets it if she survives the original decedent but does not say what to do if that person dies prior to the settlement of the estate. Does the inheritance go to that beneficiaries estate as she was to get it as she had survived the decedent originally or does it forfit it now and it remains in the original estate and gets redisbursed amongst the original heirs?? Hopefully I did not confuse you**************. Please send some help so we can move on and close it out.

tranquility

The rights under the inheritance were determined at the death of the person you are executor for. It will go into the beneficiary estate.

medic177

one more question

Thanks for the responses , I am a bit confused. So does that mean it stays in the original estate to be redistributed or do I send a check to the now deceased beneficiary:confused: Thank again for the help. I am just trying to do what is legally expected of me properly.

curb1

You will be sending a check to the estate of the beneficiary (who died). Contact the personal representative of that estate. Also, spend a $100 to run this by an attorney to get the exact mechanics of the transaction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">