• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to drop health insurance on my wife?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auss-lite

What is your state? OK

So here’s the scoop...

We have been separated for almost two years. There is no chance we will get back together again. I got a new job around the same time as we separated, since we were not together at the time I did not sign her up for health ins.
At re-enrollment last June I said that I would gladly enroll her for insurance for a span of one year.
The one year is rapidly approaching and I need to know is it illegal to drop health insurance on my wife? Since we are still legally married?

Thanks for any help I can get

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is your state? OK

So here’s the scoop...

We have been separated for almost two years. There is no chance we will get back together again. I got a new job around the same time as we separated, since we were not together at the time I did not sign her up for health ins.
At re-enrollment last June I said that I would gladly enroll her for insurance for a span of one year.
The one year is rapidly approaching and I need to know is it illegal to drop health insurance on my wife? Since we are still legally married?

Thanks for any help I can get
Rather than look at it as legal vs illegal, look at it this way.

Any uninsured medical bills that your wife incurs will be marital debt (because you are still married) and you will be equally responsible for those bills. In the event that you eventually divorce, the court will order you to pay 1/2 of those bills for certain, and may even stick you with the entire amount of the bills, because you could have provided her insurance and chose not to.

Therefore, it would be STUPID not to continue to provide medical insurance for her as long as you are married to her.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It depends. How heavy is the health insurance? From what height are you going to drop it? Will it cause her any physical, mental or emotional injury?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">