• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? nc

a tenant is becoming troublesome and its hard to figure what to do. the tenant is on section 8 and the landlord is trying to sell me the property before foreclosure. tenant has been not been looking for a place to live and the lease ended in february, is there anyway to evict this tenant, so i can work this deal?

datrouper

More Information

As a buyer, would not want to inherit a property with a tenant problem. However, you want the property--maybe enough to buy it with the problem. When did the tenant last pay rent? Has the tenant done any damage or behaved in a way contrary to the terms of their lease?

You can proceed with the sale without evicting the tenant--though I would include in the sale documents that the seller will provide all leases, etc. Again, buying a property with a problem tenant isn't a good idea unless the deal is good enough to compensate you for the extra "problem" you are buying.

yeah i know, i was just wondering if i can evict her or have the owner start the eviction process so by the time i close the tenant will be on their way out. the tenant has paid for march i think, but april i don't want her to pay, i want her to move. her case worker is demanding that she find another place to live.

i want to evict her, should she get the notice on april first and we file the eviction on april 10th, since her leased expired in february. automatically in nc a lease will automatic switch to month to month at the end of the term if the landlord or tenant hasn't put in a formal request which was done by the lanrdlord back in january.

Rexlan

Check the tenant laws because you may very well need a cause to evict the person - not just because you don't want them there. You can not lock the tenant out on section 8 housing and it is very difficult to evict them. The tenant will get free legal assistance to fight you if they don’t want to move.

You also indicate that the property is in foreclosure …. all bad things.

I would back off of this purchase because it sound like you are being sold a vial of snake oil. Or, tell the current owner that you will make a contingent offer starting with that tenant being removed. The problems are being shifted to you … not smart for you to accept. Use your brain to think about this instead of emotion. You can spend your money on problems easily; however, smart money is spent on something of value in return. There is a reason it is being offered to you.

yeah but the tenant hasn't paid rent since december, because the owner told her what the problem is with foreclosure, plus the lease end on 1/31. i guess i will have to check with an attorney that handles this stuff, but i thought since the lease was up, the tenant would be required to move especially since she received notice before the lease ended, thus disqualifying the automatic month to month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">