• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vrhobbs

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My husband passed away in Nov @ the age of 30. It was not expected and so we were not prepared. There is no estate and he was our only income. He had a credit card with his name only and 2 others where I was an authorized user. One company told me that it was his debt and I am not responsible for it. However, I received a phone call and a letter from a collection agency trying to collect on one of his credit cards. They want me to pay it all even though I toldl them that I have no money to pay it since our only income is SSI benefits. They were trying to pressure me into putting it on one of my credit cards. How do they even know which credit cards I have and the available balances? Am I responsible? What, if anything, can they do to try to recoup their losses? Is there a statute of limitations? Will they garnish my bank account which my husband's name is still on? Is there anything I can do to protect myself?

Last edited:

BlondiePB

Sorry For Your Loss

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My husband passed away in Nov @ the age of 30. It was not expected and so we were not prepared. There is no estate and he was our only income. He had a credit card with his name only and 2 others where I was an authorized user. One company told me that it was his debt and I am not responsible for it. However, I received a phone call and a letter from a collection agency trying to collect on one of his credit cards. They want me to pay it all even though I toldl them that I have no money to pay it since our only income is SSI benefits. They were trying to pressure me into putting it on one of my credit cards. How do they even know which credit cards I have and the available balances? Am I responsible? What, if anything, can they do to try to recoup their losses? Is there a statute of limitations? Will they garnish my bank account which my husband's name is still on? Is there anything I can do to protect myself?
Tell that collection agency to bite rocks. Open a new account in your name only. Your husband's estate is responsible for his final bills unless, you have made yourself the guarantor. If there is nothing to probate, your husband's estate is bankrupt.

For a good measure, give the collection agency your deceased husband's new address....which is the address of the Memorial Park, etc. :D

Add my sympathy.

Are the bank accounts POD (payable on death?). This would mean they are solely your asset now. If so, you should go to the bank and have your husband's name removed and/or close them and open up new accounts in only your name. As a practical matter, you need to do this sooner or later.

If not POD, you'll need to go through probate to have assets properly disbursed and claims addressed. (This may also be required if there is real estate or other assets as well, although your post indicated there were limited assets). Your local bar association has some pro bono assistance for small estates if a probate is required.

While it is unlikely that they will recover anything in the end, it would be better if you dealt with it correctly, which has the added benefit of stopping letters, calls, etc.

Good luck - post back if you need further help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">