• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Will - Who inherits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Filaseir

What is the name of your state? New York

Hello,

My dad has passed away and left no will. I am his only child but my mom and him never were married. Do I stand to inherit his estate? Does anyone else have a right to the estate? I know the child is the first in line, but what if the parents were never married?

Dandy Don

Yes you are the legal heir to inherit. Go to the surrogate court/probate court for the county where he died and do the papework to open up the estate, IF HE LEFT ASSETS. At some point you may want to consult an attorney if you have questions about the process, or hire the attorney to be administrator of the estate if you don't have time to do so.

Filaseir

Thank you Dandy.

Another question, how do I prove that I am the biological child? I can't take DNA test because my father has passed. There is a birth certificate and many pictures and videos. What else can I show? The court is asking the present the appropriate paper work. If there is no sufficient paperwork/evidence to prove I am the biological child, then there must be a court hearing which I would like to avoid if possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">