• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help - lost grounds in NY - alcoholic, incompetent wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelpinNY

What is the name of your state? NY

Any help is appreciated. I live in NY. 14 year old son, 16 year old daughter. Alcoholic wife. I had tons of documentation, she admitted being an alcoholic, she filed for incompetency and guardian, and got it. "Diagnosed" as being depressed, etc. In and out of rehab. I know it's a legal game, even have the wife on tape admitting it was done by her lawyer because she and I were close to settling it ourselves with a mediator.

Just lost on grounds because, in our opinion, the judge was lazy. There was history of threats, her calling cops many times while drunk and alleging abuse from me (never happened, cops sided with me every time), she scratched me and pushed me around a few times, made a crafty and carefully worded threat with a knife, broke things, etc. But we lost on grounds anyway. This is insane.

Tried to settle several times up until and during trial but no luck; her lawyer's a hard ass and demands maintenance for life. So now I'm still married, got a TRO to protect me and the kids.

I've spent almost my whole life savings on this, got nowhere... so now I'll go into debt to win custody, which should be straightforward (kids, kids' shrink and law guardain are all on my side) but then what? Support. Still married. Lost everything.

Thinking about moving to a no fault state, but don't want to uproot the kids; it's been hard enough on them.
Anyone know a good NY lawyer who's successfully beaten this kind of thing? And besides, I'd need new grounds in NY anyway, and with a TRO that's gonna be tough. Help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">