• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Scheduled Fumigation 2 Weeks Befor Baby Due Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbkate

CA - CA - At a HOA meeting in unfortunately missed, the board scheduled a termite fumigation using lethal Vikane gas for the weekend of May 2nd. I am pregnant and due May 22nd.

I've emailed my property management company and they have said that there is no changing this plan. We are supposed to have a meeting regarding this matter soon tba. I'm assuming to discuss the prep.

I have suggested other non-toxic measures such as orange oil, borate powder or heat as these do not require people or goods to be temporarily moved. However, the prop management company is firm that plans are made and not to be changed. I don't know if I can sway the other members at the meeting. We are not very liked in our building.

Do I have any sort of legal recourse against this? I know that in the last month of pregnancy women qualify for disability coverage. Could I use this as a special circumstance? Using some sort of disability law?

I physically won't be able to pack up, move out, then come back and clean everything. Even more concerning, I have a 16 month old son, and will have a 8 pound baby with tiny lungs in the unit 2 weeks later. I don't believe in pesticides. I've witnessed first hand my mother's exposure to pesticides that resulted in neurological damage and cysts packed with pesticides.

HELP! I feel trapped...like I have no say in the health of myself and family.What is the name of your state?

Vikane (sulfuryl fluoride) is indeed toxic, and you certainly should not be in the building when it is being treated. It is however very volatile and will dissipate rapidly after treatment, a good aeration should make your home safe to return to. The pest control company should give you the information you need.

Sulfuryl fluoride is the only really effective treatment for dry wood termites, and is safe so long as you stay away from it when in use and until the house is well aired out. So your HOA probably has your best interests in mind. Just be safe while they are doing it!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">