• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility for missing items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beemer

My 12 year old son visits his father in Indiana every other weekend and spends the weekend with him. His father recently contacted me and said his girlfriend's son was missing some games and videos and that our son had taken them. When we asked him, he admitted taking the items. His father sent me a list of items that are missing and we returned the items we had. Our son confirms many of the items on the list but denies others. His father doesn't believe him but there is no reason for him to lie about some while admitting to others. He knows he is in trouble and adding a few more items to the list would not increase his trouble. He is demanding we pay him for the missing items (the list keeps getting longer) or he will contact the police about it. I believe my son when he says he didn't take all of them. I've requested his father to provide receipts for the missing items to prove they actually had them before I would even consider replacing them.

My question is, what responsibility do we both have in this situation? We have joint custody and he lives with me. I feel, at most, we should each pay half for the items. Am I within my rights to require proof of ownership before replacing them?

Thanks for your help.

Just Blue

Your son STOLE items. Pay for the missing items before the other party files a police report and your son ends up arrested. Your son should get a paper route or something to reimburse you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You can ask for receipts. But realize dad's girlfriend can file a complaint against your son and then it would involve a police investigation. Make your son earn the money to pay for it. He can mow yards, wash cars, shovel sidewalks, deliver newspapers. Whatever it takes to pay for what he took.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Aren't BOTH parents responsible for their children? With that said, the child was under dad's watch when the items came up missing. Where is HIS responsibility in all of this?

Now, the child STOLE items. He either repays everything, or personally, the parents need to replace the items and have the child work to pay them both. This should not just fall on mom's shoulders. Dad should also be assisting in teaching this child.

Just Blue

Aren't BOTH parents responsible for their children? With that said, the child was under dad's watch when the items came up missing. Where is HIS responsibility in all of this?

Now, the child STOLE items. He either repays everything, or personally, the parents need to replace the items and have the child work to pay them both. This should not just fall on mom's shoulders. Dad should also be assisting in teaching this child.
I agree...but does Mom really want to quibble? I would just pay it and Jr. would face my WRATH!! Or Mom can do nothing and the other party can file a police report...it would teach Jr to never steal again...hopefully!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">