• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permanent Guardianship and SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sleuthster

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi,

I received permanent guardianship of my granddaughter in January of this year.

My question is in 2 parts.

1) I am applying for Social Security Disability on myself due to my Multiple Sclerosis geting worse and not being able to go back to work. I read that benefits are also availible for dependent children. Would the child be considered as my dependent child on my case?

2) If I wanted to adopt the child how would I do this? I called Safe Childrens Coalition (they where the agency who handled the case for DCF) and they said I would need to call a private adoption agency to handle this since the case is closed. If I did adopt her I would lose her childcare and relative caregiver funds so I would also like to know what the advantage would be.

If anyone is familiar with this situation please let me know.

Thank you,
Cindi

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hi,

I received permanent guardianship of my granddaughter in January of this year.

My question is in 2 parts.

1) I am applying for Social Security Disability on myself due to my Multiple Sclerosis geting worse and not being able to go back to work. I read that benefits are also availible for dependent children. Would the child be considered as my dependent child on my case?

2) If I wanted to adopt the child how would I do this? I called Safe Childrens Coalition (they where the agency who handled the case for DCF) and they said I would need to call a private adoption agency to handle this since the case is closed. If I did adopt her I would lose her childcare and relative caregiver funds so I would also like to know what the advantage would be.

If anyone is familiar with this situation please let me know.

Thank you,
Cindi
1. The social security caseworker should be able to answer your first question for you.

2. Have both parents' rights been terminated by court order?

In Florida you will still recieve a monthly check, but it is for adopting. Florida has alot of assistance set up for adopting a dependant relative including medicaid for the adopted child regardlessd of income, and state college tuition paid. There is also a credit you can get from IRS when you file your taxes.

You should get a consult with a local attorney, you can get a very low cost consult by calling the FL Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-432-8011.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">