• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing informaiton in a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cruizer2

What is the name of your state? NY

If I want to make a change in my will, for instance changing the name of executor, can I just cross out the old name and write in the new one and initial it or have it notarized do I have to have an whole new will drawn up.

las365

I am not a lawyer and don't have much experience in Wills and Estates, so you should take this with a grain of salt.

If I remember correctly, you can amend a Will by adding a Codicil, which is a document containing the changes that you want to make to the original Will.

It sounds to me as if the name of your proposed Executor is the only thing you want to change, but if you are changing one thing, that's as good a time as any to review your situation and make any other changes you may desire.

I think your best and "cleanest" option is to do a completely new Will and make it clear that it is your intention that it replace the former one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">