• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lysslynn

Florida

In January of 2006 I was 18 and a freshman in college. I had a small group of friends, including my roomate (a female ), and the two guys next door. I had been dating one of the neighbors for about four months, and my roomate was kind of seeing the other neighbor we hung out with. I ended up getting pregnant by the neighbor (my boyfriend and both my and my roomate's friend) in the end of January 2006, and I did not have health insurance to pay for the procedure, and my boyfriend did not have money at the time either. My roomate offered to lend me and him the money for the procedure, which ended up being $1,000.00 total. The agreement was that I would pay back half of the money to her, and the guy involved would pay her the other half of the money, $500.00 each. I paid her the $500.00 in full, and in cash, about a week later, and everything was fine. It has now been two years, and I am not with that guy anymore, and the girl and I are not friends. The guy has not paid her the money he owes her yet, and I guess she has contacted him but he won't pay. In the past, she has emailed me about helping her talk to him or getting some money from him so she can get her money, but as of recently, she emailed me about getting the money from me if he does not pay her. I tried to explain to her that the agreement was that I would pay half and he would pay half, and she has been aware of this from the beginning and even agreed before the money was lent, so she needs to be talking to him about this because I have repaid my loan from her. She refuted that she "leant me the money as a friend" and expects it back, even though it was clearly established early on that we would each pay half. This morning, I saw an unfamiliar number on my phone, so I called it back to see who it was. It was her mother who called me in the morning, but she did not leave a message. I have not spoken to her daughter or been friends with her beyond the emails in over a year, so I don't see what else it could be regarding. The last time we talked, I told the girl not to email me and finally to leave me alone, and now her mother has called me. I know it was my body, but it was both my and his problem. (I think it is important to note that after the abortion and her loaning the money, she had a sexual relationsihp with my boyfriend aka the guy who owed her money, and now I feel she is having trouble getting money from him because the situation is weird between them because of the way everything played out when their affair came to light...) Now, she is trying to change the arrangement just so she can get the money, regardless. Nothing was ever signed on paper. Am I responsible for paying her back the rest of the money if he doesn't? Can she get me to pay his part instead of him?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">