• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need to know the right thing to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rckhenning

What is the name of your state? il

what happens if i refuse to pay spouces attorney fees?
judge ordered me to pay spouces attorney fees, but I dont even have funds to pay for my own attorney.
is it just a fine? - jail? whats the bottom line:mad:What is the name of your state?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? il

what happens if i refuse to pay spouces attorney fees?
judge ordered me to pay spouces attorney fees, but I dont even have funds to pay for my own attorney.
is it just a fine? - jail? whats the bottom line:mad:What is the name of your state?
Refusal to pay any court ordered amount can and usually does result in a finding of contempt. It can mean fines, purges, and yes, jail.

If you cannot pay in a lump sum, make payments every week toward the fees. It might not stop a contempt hearing, but it will certainly help you in court.

mistoffolees

Refusal to pay any court ordered amount can and usually does result in a finding of contempt. It can mean fines, purges, and yes, jail.

If you cannot pay in a lump sum, make payments every week toward the fees. It might not stop a contempt hearing, but it will certainly help you in court.
I have no reason to think this is relevant here, but one could also go back to court to ask for the order to be changed. The circumstances would have to be fairly extreme. For example, if the court ordered you to pay the attorney's fees and the attorney sent a bill for $500,000 in a simple, uncontested divorce, I'd certainly be back in front of the judge to have the order changed. But until the order is changed, you're obligated to pay.

I doubt that it happens often, but I wanted to throw it in for completeness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">