• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distribution of Assets - Real Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lofty

This is California.

My sister is the Executrix, there is a will with five heirs (siblings). According to the will all property is to be distributed equally among heirs. It is my mothers(who passed away over a year ago) estate and holds a substantial house and property. The real property has a very small mortgage on it.

The Probate Court is now finished with their process, and are ready any time for us to file a “petition to disperse assets and final account.” The next step is up to us, the she may spend a few days preparing the petition, and after it is filed, she estimates the process will take 6-8 weeks to close. As I understand it, at the close of probate the judge will sign an order for the house to be tuned over to all of us as tenants-in-common, and for the Executrix to sign-over the distribution of anything else to the appropriate people, as stated in the will.

According to my sister; "The Petition needs to include our collective decision on how we want the house handled. For example, we file our “petition for final account” for the judge to distribute equal shares to all of us, and prepare a grant deed for all 5 of us as Tenants in Common."

Here is my issue;

Two of us want out of the house (a sister in So Cal and myself). The maintenance of the property falls on two of us, a different sister and myself who live closest. Between the five siblings we have divergent views on what to do with the property if we keep it.

The Executrix, who lives out of state, wants to keep the house indefinitely for nostalgic reasons. She however, cannot afford to hold the property by herself nor could she afford to buy out more than one heir, should the remaining heirs decide to hold the property equally.

The Executrix refuses to sell the property nor will she agree to rent any of it. I don't want to hold this property with my siblings, it's too open ended. Will/can the probate court force the sale of the property? How do I get out of this mess?

I would like nothing more than to be simply "cashed out" at the close of probate. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

seniorjudge

Q: Will/can the probate court force the sale of the property?

A: It certainly would not hurt to ask. Have YOUR lawyer draw up YOUR papers quickly...like today.

tranquility

I don't know of anything the beneficiaries/heirs can do besides accept or disclaim their inheritance. The distribution is up to the executor within her fiduciary duties. The partition lawsuit comes up after the distribution. Only if the executor is in breach of the fidicuciary duties do I see a chance to petition for removal and then the appointment of another executor who can then sell the property and distribute the cash. But, they will have to answer to the feds as to why distribution took so long (and maybe to the courts) and the sale and distribution must not breach a fiduciary duty.

seniorjudge

I don't know of anything the beneficiaries/heirs can do besides accept or disclaim their inheritance. The distribution is up to the executor within her fiduciary duties. The partition lawsuit comes up after the distribution. Only if the executor is in breach of the fidicuciary duties do I see a chance to petition for removal and then the appointment of another executor who can then sell the property and distribute the cash. But, they will have to answer to the feds as to why distribution took so long (and maybe to the courts) and the sale and distribution must not breach a fiduciary duty.
Yep, they can renounce.

BUT this is California.

You never know....

tecate

The answer lies in Probate Code Section 11950. Object to the petition for distribution because you don't want to be a tenant in common and ask for an order to sell.

Last edited:

tecate

According to the OP, the petition will contain the executor's request to distribute the realty to the beneficiaries as tenants in common. As I see it, OP objects to the distribution plan, and, instead, asks the court to order a sale, using Section 11953(b) as authority. OP will need to convince the court that this is equitable for all, but my guess is this will not be hard.

OP can always jump the gun and petition under Section 11950 before the executor files, but my guess is the court would join the two petitions for efficiency.

Or maybe someone can figure out how to cash the OP out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">