• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption/Name change.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yosaira

What is the name of your state? NJ/NY We currently live in New Jesey, Daughter was born in NY.

Hello all thank you for taking the time to read maybe give me your input on my situation.
So in a few words here it goes:

a. I had my daughter in 1998, the father was never there, even moved to another state during pregnancy.

b. He met her when she was 1 saw her maybe twice after that and dissapeared again.

c. He saw her again when she was 5, He asked if I could let her spend the summer with him, which I agreed to thinking that maybe this time he was going to be able to compromise and be there for her as he is supposed to be, she spent the summer with him only to call me every other day to tell me how she was being mistreated by her grandmother and that her daddy was drinking everyday and fighting with her grandmother to the point where my daughter saw him throw a bottle at his mom. So I had to go pick her up after 2 weeks (He lives in NC).

d. During that visit he got arrested for possesion of drugs (don't know what kind) in front of my daughter.

f. 2 years ago Child support tried to contact him, He moved.

g. He never signed the birth certificate and from what I see he has no intentions to do it.

I contacted him early last year because she was 8 then and started asking last name questions ( I now have a 2 yr old, which I have been married to the father for almost 2 years) and he spoke to her, he promised he would come and visit her, he never did and never called back either. My brother contacted him in october last year, also same promises never kept and has also stoped calling since december.

Now here's is the big question, sorry about the long sheet of facts, my husband now wants to adopt her, we have been married for almost 2 years. We have a 2 year old and baby #2 on the way and since she has MY last name, he doesn't want her to feel left out. He has been there for her over the past 4 years and has been her father in every aspect of the word. Do any of the above mentioned facts affect the process of him adopting her?

Thank you in advance for any advice offered, so sorry for the long post.

Yosaira

We were never married, I am not sure what adjudicated means (sorry English is my 2nd language) but he has never signed any paternity papers or we've never any court related encounters, he was been looked for by child support because I opened a case for my daughters medicaid and they asked me if i wanted him on child support, He never appeared though.

Shay-Pari'e

We were never married, I am not sure what adjudicated means (sorry English is my 2nd language) but he has never signed any paternity papers or we've never any court related encounters, he was been looked for by child support because I opened a case for my daughters medicaid and they asked me if i wanted him on child support, He never appeared though.
Yet you allowed a 5 year old to spend the summer with a guy that she barely knew? You need to establish paternity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">