• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teenage Son Caught Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leanne0827

Teenage Son Caught Shoplifting-Why No Response?

What is the name of your state? WA

Hello,

I hope someone can answer this question, I have searched the R.C.W. and have found nothing to address my question. Last month, my 17 year old son went to Wal-mart with his two friends. One of the kids was detained for shoplifting a 12 pack of soda & toothbrush. One of the boys was doing his mother's grocery shopping and "forgot" to scan these two items. I was called to come and pick up my child, and was told by the security person that my son didn't steal anything and that he was in the bathroom when it happened. I was told to provide my driver's license and sign a form and we left.

Fast forward to today, I received a notice from a firm by the name Brett & DeLoney (collection agency/attorneys) telling me I owe $125.00. I call and speak to the representative who tells me that eventhough my son wasn't the one who did the stealing, Washington State Law allows the store to pursue penalties against anyone with the person who stole. This doesn't seem right, but anything is possible I guess. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

IlliniCat

Wow

I have no experience with this situation or know anyone off hand that would. But I would recommend getting in touch with an attorney and they should be able to help you to at least understand why your son is being charged.

Take care and I hope everything works itself out.

-Cassie

JETX

The right for a merchant to pursue civil recovery against shoplifters is under RCW 4.24.230.

(1) An adult or emancipated minor who takes possession of any goods, wares, or merchandise displayed or offered for sale by any wholesale or retail store or other mercantile establishment without the consent of the owner or seller, and with the intention of converting such goods, wares, or merchandise to his own use without having paid the purchase price thereof shall be liable in addition to actual damages, for a penalty to the owner or seller in the amount of the retail value thereof not to exceed one thousand dollars, plus an additional penalty of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than two hundred dollars, plus all reasonable attorney's fees and court costs expended by the owner or seller. A customer who orders a meal in a restaurant or other eating establishment, receives at least a portion thereof, and then leaves without paying, is subject to liability under this section. A person who shall receive any food, money, credit, lodging, or accommodation at any hotel, motel, boarding house, or lodging house, and then leaves without paying the proprietor, manager, or authorized employee thereof, is subject to liability under this section.

(2) The parent or legal guardian having the custody of an unemancipated minor who takes possession of any goods, wares, or merchandise displayed or offered for sale by any wholesale or retail store or other mercantile establishment without the consent of the owner or seller and with the intention of converting such goods, wares, or merchandise to his own use without having paid the purchase price thereof, shall be liable as a penalty to the owner or seller for the retail value of such goods, wares, or merchandise not to exceed five hundred dollars plus an additional penalty of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than two hundred dollars, plus all reasonable attorney's fees and court costs expended by the owner or seller. The parent or legal guardian having the custody of an unemancipated minor, who orders a meal in a restaurant or other eating establishment, receives at least a portion thereof, and then leaves without paying, is subject to liability under this section. The parent or legal guardian having the custody of an unemancipated minor, who receives any food, money, credit, lodging, or accommodation at any hotel, motel, boarding house, or lodging house, and then leaves without paying the proprietor, manager, or authorized employee thereof, is subject to liability under this section. For the purposes of this subsection, liability shall not be imposed upon any governmental entity, private agency, or foster parent assigned responsibility for the minor child pursuant to court order or action of the department of social and health services.

the representative who tells me that eventhough my son wasn't the one who did the stealing, Washington State Law allows the store to pursue penalties against anyone with the person who stole.
Based strictly on the above and your claim that your "son didn't steal anything and that he was in the bathroom when it happened", I simply see no way that they can enforce their claim. HOWEVER, this could change entirely based on the text of the form that you signed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">