• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car and debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marie2727

I'm getting divorced in california, and we were trying to work out the financials between ourselves, but now my ex is not communicating at all anymore. He has the car and said he was going to pay me for it, because I bought it, it's in my name, but that was 2 months ago, and nothing. Is there anything I can do, to get it back? And can I re-submit my property paperwork (I filed online) to declare the car and the credit card bills he left me with, so that the court will make him pay, since he's not? Thanks for any advice,

mistoffolees

I'm getting divorced in california, and we were trying to work out the financials between ourselves, but now my ex is not communicating at all anymore. He has the car and said he was going to pay me for it, because I bought it, it's in my name, but that was 2 months ago, and nothing. Is there anything I can do, to get it back? And can I re-submit my property paperwork (I filed online) to declare the car and the credit card bills he left me with, so that the court will make him pay, since he's not? Thanks for any advice,
The paperwork you submit should include ALL assets and debts. Your attempt to work things out with him doesn't change that. Make sure your paperwork includes EVERYTHING.

The car is one of the assets that will be split. My own opinion is that your best bet is to get the entire matter settled as fast as possible. Trying to get the court to address the car issue now is only going to muddy the waters. But I'm not an attorney, so don't put too much weight into that opinion.

If there's a loan on the car and it's in your name, you need to protect your credit rating. Talk with your attorney about whether you should continue to pay the loan if he's not paying it (or at least, check with the bank to see if it has been paid).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">