• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

court mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithnlve

What is the name of your state? NH I live in vt...but I have a friend with an issue in NH. She left an abusive relationship and moved to vermont. Her ex called her yesterday and told her she was suppose to be in court yesterday. I called the courts for her in NH and they said she is not to be in court until May and they had not served her yet. Of course that was a bit confusing since how did he know she had a court date before she was served. The clerk did mention the plaintiff would know the court date before her and probably sent her a certified letter. Now her ex signed a certified/registered letter for her from a collection agency and opened her mail, then misinformed her of a court date. Probably just to be a jerk. But can he get in trouble for opening this mail? And how can she stop him from further problems of him doing this? Thanks

HellOnEarth

What is the name of your state? NH I live in vt...but I have a friend with an issue in NH. She left an abusive relationship and moved to vermont. Her ex called her yesterday and told her she was suppose to be in court yesterday. I called the courts for her in NH and they said she is not to be in court until May and they had not served her yet. Of course that was a bit confusing since how did he know she had a court date before she was served. The clerk did mention the plaintiff would know the court date before her and probably sent her a certified letter. Now her ex signed a certified/registered letter for her from a collection agency and opened her mail, then misinformed her of a court date. Probably just to be a jerk. But can he get in trouble for opening this mail? And how can she stop him from further problems of him doing this? Thanks
I'm not a lawyer, just a poster seeking advice on some issues myself.

This guys seems to be a manipulative jerk - making her feel that she missed court when she hadn't even been served yet. However, I'm wondering why her mails are still going to his house? Why hasn't she changed her mailing address already?

How do you know for sure that if she does get served, that the summons will be sent to her HER house (where she currently resides) and not her ex's house?

Oh, and why is she still answering phone calls from this jerk? She should move, get an unlisted number AND caller id when this is all over. Until then, the caller id and her answering machine are her best friends. They don't have any children together, do they?

Last edited:

faithnlve

no, no kids. This friend is in her 60's...and it took her a long time to get the nerve up to leave him. She is still afraid of him. She has changed her address, but the courts used her last known address and it was delivered to his house. She does not answer his calls, he leaves messages, and she is trying to get a new cell phone with new number. She still has her old one to keep in contact with her kids. (previous marriage). But, I will ask her to make sure she has done the change of address. Thanks

HellOnEarth

no, no kids. This friend is in her 60's...and it took her a long time to get the nerve up to leave him. She is still afraid of him. She has changed her address, but the courts used her last known address and it was delivered to his house. She does not answer his calls, he leaves messages, and she is trying to get a new cell phone with new number. She still has her old one to keep in contact with her kids. (previous marriage). But, I will ask her to make sure she has done the change of address. Thanks
She needs to do that ASAP. This crazy fellow could be an ax murderer for all she knows. What an abusive jerk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">