• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be forced to pay someone back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Honeybee78

When my ex-fiance and I became engaged, he paid off my debt to ensure that we had a sound financial future together. It was understood that I would pay him $400 per month towards the loan he had taken out of his 401K and that once we became married our income would be combined and we would continue to pay the loan off together over the 5 year period.

My 4 year old son and I moved in with him and his family and after a few months he decided to end the relationship citing that if it was not for my son's behavior we would still be together.

My son and I are now forced to live with a friend of mine for the time being until we can get an apartment of our own.

He is requesting that I get a personal loan to pay him back for this money. I do not feel that I should have to do this as he knew my financial situation when he paid this for me and we never had any type of agreement written up.

I am not able to take care of my son and pay him back this amount that I feel was given to me as a gift along with the promise of our future together.

Can he take any legal action against me?

fairisfair

When my ex-fiance and I became engaged, he paid off my debt to ensure that we had a sound financial future together. It was understood that I would pay him $400 per month towards the loan he had taken out of his 401K and that once we became married our income would be combined and we would continue to pay the loan off together over the 5 year period.

My 4 year old son and I moved in with him and his family and after a few months he decided to end the relationship citing that if it was not for my son's behavior we would still be together.

My son and I are now forced to live with a friend of mine for the time being until we can get an apartment of our own.

He is requesting that I get a personal loan to pay him back for this money. I do not feel that I should have to do this as he knew my financial situation when he paid this for me and we never had any type of agreement written up.

I am not able to take care of my son and pay him back this amount that I feel was given to me as a gift along with the promise of our future together.

Yes, he can.

You took a loan, you agreed to pay it back.

It was NOT a gift.

HellOnEarth

directly contradicts

You agreed to pay him when you were together but because he's dumped you, you don't feel you owe him any longer?

Oh, woe is me, I cannot pay him back because I'm quite the self-entitled wench.

Not being a lawyer, I don't know. You VERBALLY agreed that this was a loan, you even agreed to the terms of repayment and now you want to bail because he dumped you? Sounds like a breach of contract to me, even if it was verbal. If I were you, I'd tell him that while you cannot afford to do so now, you would work out a payment plan with him as soon as you get back on your feet. Let him know that he WILL eventually get his money back. You may be poor but there's no reason to be dishonorable.

Last edited:

kdorn

Yes, he can sue you and he will surely win. You need to be honest with thing. He did help you out of the debt and since you two are no longer have a future together, you have to pay him back as promise. As far as he don't marry you yet, he has a right to drop out of this thing if he want and I am glad that he did after read your attutude toward this thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">