• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a parent take a child on vacation without the others knowledge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bfonseca

What is the name of your state? Florida

Can a parent take a child on vacation without letting the other parent know where they are? They are not divorced, she left 2 weeks ago. She makes excuses so that the father can not see his daughter then left for 1 week without telling him where they were going.
Doesn't he have a legal right to know her whereabouts?

Bfonseca

"Yes" they have a right to know or "Yes" they can take them without letting the other parent know? Thanks.

StampGirl

"Yes" they have a right to know or "Yes" they can take them without letting the other parent know? Thanks.
Apparently common sense is in short supply this morning.

YES they can take them wherever they want and not tell anyone. There are no court orders in place or having been filed. UNTIL then, each parent has equal rights to go wherever they wish with the child.

mistoffolees

Apparently common sense is in short supply this morning.

YES they can take them wherever they want and not tell anyone. There are no court orders in place or having been filed. UNTIL then, each parent has equal rights to go wherever they wish with the child.
True. However, a little common sense might be in order. If you take the child far away without telling the spouse, you might be setting yourself up for problems later. During custody hearings, spouse says "your honor, you can't trust him/her to do what's best for the child since they have a habit of going far away with the child and not telling me where they are. I'm afraid they might run and hide". Maybe I'm paranoid, though.

Bfonseca

I happen to have common sense, I was asking for clarification. That is what this site is for, isn't it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I happen to have common sense, I was asking for clarification. That is what this site is for, isn't it?
Ok, I agree - my first answer was "YES" to the fact that a parent may take his/her child on a vacation without notifying the other parent in the circumstances that you described.

VeronicaLodge

except that this is a free open msg board and people can say what they want, just try not listening (reading) it and ignoring it if you dont like it, dont let it ruffle your feathers.

Gracie3787

She makes excuses so that the father can not see his daughter then left for 1 week without telling him where they were going.
Father needs to file for a visitation and custody order. In FL this can be done without filing for a divorce. Father should get a consult with an attorney ASAP. He can call the Fl Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011 for a consult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">