• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdavisab

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My wife and I seperated, but had been talking about a reconciliation, however during this period she tricked me into signing 401k documents under the guise that she needed me to sign the papers to get a loan from her plan to make some improvements around the house, however it turned out to be a document that released me from any claims to her retirement, but she still has rights to mine. We had been married for eight years, her 401k is considerably more than mine because I paid the majority of the bills and let her do what she wanted to do with her money. We are now definitely headed for divorce. Do you think a judge will see this for what it is and grant me what I am due from her retirement plan. The document was signed after our seperation.What is the name of your state?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My wife and I seperated, but had been talking about a reconciliation, however during this period she tricked me into signing 401k documents under the guise that she needed me to sign the papers to get a loan from her plan to make some improvements around the house, however it turned out to be a document that released me from any claims to her retirement, but she still has rights to mine. We had been married for eight years, her 401k is considerably more than mine because I paid the majority of the bills and let her do what she wanted to do with her money. We are now definitely headed for divorce. Do you think a judge will see this for what it is and grant me what I am due from her retirement plan. The document was signed after our seperation.What is the name of your state?
Check with an attorney, but I don't think that document will change anything. Unless I'm mistaken, that document is for the 401K provider to distribute the money in the event of her death. Since she's still alive, it still counts as a personal asset for her which she will have to share with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">